about partitionning scheme

Hi,
(note : I only have experience of the mandrake way to hold that, it's quite well
done, but not so much.)

Talking about /usr not mounted reminded me a problem that should not be solved
easily. That is the default partitionning scheme.

Which filesystems should be on separate partitions ? And for these one what size
should they be ?

The first question in fact is, which size to give to linux, and which size to keep
for windows. This question should be solved quite easily I think, given the size of
the win partition, the size of the disk, and the kind of install the user choosed,
with maybe a choice when things are not easily resolved. And also maybe a question
about the free space the user wants in linux ?

Does the redhat installer handle those things well ?

After that, the partitionning scheme should be something like a partition for /, not
to little, /opt also should be in the same, if it is the redhat way, a little
partition for /boot, maybe another for /tmp, with 200 Mo ? A /usr partition, with
about... well, I don't know, maybe based on a previous user choice about the kind of
installation ..., and a home partition, with size... er I don't know either ! Maybe
fill the existing space with home, up to maybe 3 Go and then expand usr until maybe 5
Go, then expand / until 2 Go, or the like.

This is one possible scheme. The other would be to have all the linux filesystem in
one partition. Or just one partition for /home. or one for home and one for /usr ?

How is this solved in redhat ? I think in mandrake 7.0, it is well done (although I
don't remember why, I wasn't happy with mandrake repartitionning).

This assume that repartitionning is done after having chosen the packages. Is it that
way ?

Note that it is only suggestions/discussion, maybe it isn't a really problem ?

Pat