IPTraf as cronjob

Hi,

I would like to run IPTraf as a background process in cron such that the log information is stored in different files on an hourly basis. I have a PHP script which invokes "IPTraf" with the parameters for timeout minutes & filename and options -B, -f. When executed in cron, the PHP script is invoked but for some reason IPTraf itself seems to be terminated instantly - as a result no log file created. Is there any reason that the IPTraf process would be instantly terminated when run in cron? Are there any considerations to run IPTraf in cron?

Thanks for any clues.
Priya