Re: IPTraf crashes on 2.4.x kernels?

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Gerard Paul Java wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> The only case where the problem occured on my system was when I emptied my
> /proc/dev/net file of data (by shutting down all interfaces).  Please
> verify that your /proc/net/dev file is intact or that you have compiled in
> /proc filesystem support into your kernel.  I'm correcting the software to
> better respond to such a condition though.

Actually... that helped. Turns out I'd had a line in a script I was
working on still commented out, between compiling IPTraf and rebooting to
flush everything before testing it for the first time, since it's my
development box. I'd been converting the scripts over from ifconfig/route
to entirely pure IPRoute2, and hadn't noticed a minor error:

ip addr add lo 127.0.0.1

should have been

ip addr add dev lo 127.0.0.1

etc, etc, etc. So... my bad.
But thanks for pointing out what was wrong. :-)