Re: Log analysis requirements

> Thanks for the information on this tool.  However, I want to ask,
> how would one go about handling multiple IPs on a single box?
>
> I may not have made it clear, but I want to use IPTraf to track the
> bandwidth usage on a *single* machine with multiple IP addresses.
> My script summarizes the logs and dumps out the bandwidth usage.

When I said you install it on as many machine as you want, I did not mean
to imply that it was limited to a single IP or machine.

For example, In my setup, I have a machine which I dedicate to monitoring
our link to the internet (for bandwidth summaries). The machine is on our
internal network with a second NIC connected to a mirror port on our
switch which is set to mirror our outbound link.

The ruleset determines what is monitored and how it is summarized. The
rules could be individual IPs, groups of IPs, whatever you like.
(actually, it is not limited to IPs, it will do IPX, DecNet, ICMP, most
everything).

> I understand that IPTraf was originally written as a real-time
> monitor, but I don't see any reason that it cannot also be a
> metering tool.

Not saying it couldn't be and I'm sure it suits this purpose just fine,
just trying to point out that it may not be the best tool for the job. For
example, as was pointed out in an earlier post, iptraf is strongly tied to
ncurses due to its history as a non-daemon, real-time tool.

For most metering iptraf is probably a good choice. However, in my limited
experience with NeTraMet, it is a much more powerful tool because of its
complex rulesets. However, that also makes it quite a bit harder to setup.
Its not trivial. Its designed more for high-level network admins who have
to monitor a large network.

That being said, It also has some real limitations. My chief issue with it
is that it re-uses flow identifiers. Each connection is assigned a "flow"
and given an index. By default there are only 10,000 flow indexes and then
it wraps around and re-uses them. There is no option to time stamp them or
in any way uniquely identify them so when you are parsing log files that
can cause problems. It should at least "time-stamp" the flows to make them
unique.

My work-around is to up the limit to something like 500,000 and then
rotate the logs daily keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get more
than 500,000 flows in any given day.

Given the seeming lack of suitable tools designed for bandwidth metering,
I was thinking about taking the source for NeTraMet and improving it (it
hasn't been worked on much since the mid-90s). Then packaging that up with
some add-ons for sumorizing the logs that I've written in perl and
re-releasing it as a new package. Ahhh if only I had the time....

John