database being worked on...

okay, just letting the group know that I'm going to be implementing
alternative logging capability of extracting data into SQL-driven
database.  Just as a note so there's no duplication of efforts...

For now, the only set of data I'll be abstracting will be the TCP/UDP
port usage statistics, as well as total/incoming/outgoing bandwidth
rates for given interface.

1) there will be configuration file so you can specify where the
database is located, what the username is, as well as what the password
is, what database to use, as well as what the identifier tag of the one
sending data is.  As well as interval for which data will be deposited
into the database (1 min, 2 min, 5 min... or whatever)

2) there will also be a separate initializer program to make it easy to
create the necessary tables for holding the data.

3) this will effectively enable centralization of data in case you have
multiple probe machines monitoring different interfaces or different
segments of your network.

4) once data is in database, you're free to do whatever you'd like with
it. ;)

I'll be working on this over the weekend since I have some time, so I'm
taking orders now.  Let me know what "other" things some of you folks
would like to see (placed in the database), and I'll take some time to
integrate them.

thanks,

-Peter