Monitoring Interfaces that May Periodically Go Down

I want to monitor my bandwidth usage on my DSL line, which uses
interface ppp0.  Periodically my link may go down for various reasons.
I want to run iptraf in the background 24/7 in order to get usage stats.
When my link goes down rp-pppoe constantly tries to reconnect until it
finally does.  During the time it's down will iptraf just quit or will
it be able to continue tracking and accumulating totals just as if it
never went down or will it continue, but reset the totals?

Help appreciated,

Derek