Re: [kidsgames] OT: Seeing the insides of a commercial game.

Welcome Tom,

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Thomas Hudson wrote:

-->Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:33:01 -0400
-->From: Thomas Hudson <thudson@cygnus.com>
-->To: "kidsgames@smluc.org" <kidsgames@smluc.org>
-->Subject: [kidsgames] OT: Seeing the insides of a commercial game.
-->
-->
-->I just completed participating in LokiHack '99
-->(http://www.lokigames.com/hack/), where a handful
-->of developers were given the chance to hack on the
-->code to Civilation:Call to Power.
-->

Sounds intriguing.

-->Loki Games ported this app from windows, and it's
-->interesting to see how they did this. They used
-->Simple DirectMedia Layer (http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/),
-->and have a few replacements for win32 calls.
-->

hmmm.

-->CivCTP code was interesting to study, and gave me quite a few
-->ideas for a generic simulation engine. I think something
-->like this would be useful even in educational games.
-->If it could be completely data driven, it might provide
-->a way for non-programmers to build content.
-->
-->Thomas (in need of sleep...)

Have you gotten enough sleep to put some of that into perspective yet ;)

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

Kids Games Project Coordinator