Re: SEUL/edu and kidsgames (was Re: [kidsgames] Typing/ReadingTutors)

Hello Doug,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Doug Loss wrote:

-->Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:08:49 -0500
-->From: Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>
-->To: kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: SEUL/edu and kidsgames (was Re: [kidsgames] Typing/Reading Tutors)
-->
-->jeff@smluc.org wrote:
-->>
-->> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Chris Ellec wrote:
-->>
-->> -->I would like to mention that the people at SEUL/edu have started a dozen mailing
-->> -->lists on different subject to promote educational software, such as math,
-->> -->documentation, advocacy and also edutatinement. That particular list has for goal
-->> -->to create some educational and entertaining programs.
-->>
-->> Unfortunately I've been following the seul-edu list less well then this
-->> one.  I'd rather stick with kidsgames at the moment but I suppose that
-->> could change.  Convince me as to why the seul-edu list is better.  Is
-->> there any traffic on it?  Is it archived?  I don't want to duplicate
-->> effort, but it would be effort to change it at this point I think.
-->>
-->It's definitely archived.

Ok where?  I tried seul.org/archives/eduttg and got no where.  Also it
appears that none of the task group mailing lists for edu is listed on the
http://seul.org/archives main page that says what is archived there?  Of
course neither is kidsgames listed as an archive although it is working
fine.

-->  The mailing list Chris mentioned
-->(eduttg@seul.org) was set up as a matter of course when the edutainment
-->task group was created.

hmmm.

-->  The task group was created when a survey of
-->subscribers to the mail SEUL/edu mailing list showed that a fair number
-->of them were interested in edutainment software.

YAY!!!

-->  We discussed pointing
-->to kidsgames rather than setting up a separate mailing list,

that would make sense.

--> but the
-->concensus was that the task group should have its own list.

ok.

-->  This was at
-->a time when the kidsgames list was _very_ quiet, so I suspect people
-->weren't sure if it was still alive.

It is alive, and I hope well.

-->  The discussion might have a
-->different conclusion if it were taken now.
-->

Stuff happens.

-->Why is it better?  It isn't, so long as this list has good and useful
-->commentary.

I hope that it does.

-->  Chris, what do you think about the original idea of melding
-->the two groups?  This wouldn't make the kidsgames list an adjunct of
-->SEUL/edu, but would make the SEUL/edu edutainment task group a pointer
-->to kidsgames.  If this were to happen, I'd encourage folks here to
-->subscribe to the main SEUL/edu mailing list too of course.
-->

I second that urging to subscribe to seul-edu as well.  There are several
things going on there that I think would spark discussion and perhaps
even action :) here (the eduml stuff, and some other database related
stuff).  I have been skimming but haven't had time to respond to these
things and get the one's I think relevant onto this list as well.  I
intend to do so, but it will take time, which I'm about to run out of...
Aren't we all.

-->> Thanks for bringing it up.  This type of thing may come up more and more
-->> as we move much of what we are doing into the sourceforge resources.  It
-->> may well be that seul.org is better suited than either sourceforge or
-->> smluc.org for housing the mailing list.  It may be that multiple mailing
-->> lists are ok and that we just need to assign the task of monitoring the
-->> different mailing lists for cross duplication of effort to somebody?
-->> Anybody else have comments.
-->>
-->SEUL is willing and interested in helping kidsgames in whatever way it
-->can up to and including providing hosting, CVS and FTP, mailing lists,
-->etc.

This is wonderful and we DO appreciate it.

because it was convenient at the time, and I see no reason at this time to
change that.

I believe that CVS allows for importing other CVS trees so that when we DO
get sourceforge to have stuff in the cvs tree  links can be made such that
somebody visiting the SEUL.edu site won't have to become a sourceforge
user in order to browse/download source from the cvs.  If I'm wrong about
that please advise, as i'm not yet a cvs guru.

--> Just let us know what you'd like. I'd rather not have two
-->different mailing lists trying to cover the same area, but the users
-->have to decide that.
-->

I think one mailing list is better, until such time as it needs to be
split for functional reasons, i.e. technical questions may warrant their
own mailing list when traffic becomes heavier.

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

Kids Games Project Coordinator