Re: [kidsgames] What I have (fwd)

Systems:
--------

Peregrin
Pentium 90 MHz, 4 GB HD, 32 MB RAM, CD-ROM, CDRW, 1.44 MB FD
            Debian 2.2 kernel+2.1 distribution (NOT Corel)
            Most development tools (I recently removed
            Python, but now realize I need to put it back).
            The system is pretty full 93%-98%.

            This is my main computer -- I'm using it now,
            for example.

Meriadoc
Pentium 200 MHz, 540 MB HD, CD-ROM, 1.44 MB FD
            Currently setting up as firewall "smaug,"
            with Debian.
            Usually Meriadoc is a crash-and-burn system.
            It had a really flaky 8 GB HD on it before.

Gimli (/Legolas)
486/33MHz, 2 x 200 MB HD (400 MB total), CD-ROM, 1.2 MB FD,
            1.44MB FD, EPROM programmer, Parallel port is
            set up as a Logic Analyzer.
            Running DOS 6.2.  Also has a nasty Windows 3.1
            install that I rarely use, left over from two
            computers back.

            Bench computer.  This should be dual-boot now,
            but the NEC CD-ROM won't mount under the 2.0
            kernel.  Corel linux will mount it (but it
            won't boot on this drive for some reason). So
            I figure whatever's wrong got fixed in the 2.2
            kernel, so I'll have to make a new boot disk
            with the 2.2 kernel (good idea anyway), and
            try again.  So right now, the 2nd disk is
            Linux partitioned, but empty.

Computery (/Kodomo)
486/33MHz, 200 MB HD, CD-ROM (4-disk changer), 1.44 MB FD
            Currently running Windows 3.1 / DOS 6.2, with
            "Kid Desk" shell.
            I'm planning to make this system dual-boot and
            put a bit larger disk on it, since the kids are
            starting to want Linux nowadays.  However, unless
            I can figure out how to run Humongous Entertainment
            games under Wine, they're not going to be happy
            with Linux only, and HE recently stopped supporting
            Win 3.1.  BTW, in my (1998) version of Wine
            the sound works, but not the video for HE games --
            apparently there's an unsupported palette-change call.
            I'm planning to try this with a more recent (2000)
            version of Wine after I compile and install it.

Ryoga
Pentium ~100MHz, 1 GB HD, 1.44 MB FD, CD-ROM, 2xPCMCIA -- laptop
            Coming this Fall!  Yes, this is computer with only
            a name, but it will probably be a Thinkpad.  Anyway,
            it will be running Linux + KDE + K Office.

My time is really limited right now, not least because of the
wistful rather than functional nature of the above computers,
and the long list of uninstalled software, not to mention a
number of other outside commitments.  I'll be glad to try to
install/compile on the various machines as they become available,
but actual programming and writing will probably have to be
reserved for my school and business commitments for the next
six months or so.

However, I have experience with C, C++, FORTRAN, and BASIC, and
have mostly done scientific and graphics programming (but not
much GUI, and I'm only just learning GTK+).  I also am planning
to learn to make Debian packages in the next 3 months or so,
so I will eventually be able to do that for the group.

I have graphics and voice-files for a solar-system tour program
appropriate for pre-readers, but I have not put it together as
a presentation.  I am currently planning to use static HTML set
up for netscape to browse it, after following up the "Kiosk
HOWTO."

Somebody mentioned sprite-design packages for Linux (I can't
remember if it was here or not), but if I could find such a
package, I'd be willing to design animated sprites (that sounds
kind of relaxing).

So, as you can see, there's potential, but I'm not sure if
I can deliver much in the near term.

--
Terry Hancock
hancock@earthlink.net