Re: [kidsgames] a Mom's eye view

Sorry this is getting so wide.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, RRPotratz wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> > cwaddell@mail.orion.org wrote:
> > > ****************
> > > Windows=easy
> > >
> > > Why do my kids play windows games?  We hate windows and
> > > strongly dislike most of the games.  However, my 3 year old
> > > can click on something and start a game.  My 6 year old can
> > > put in her own cd and run a game even if it is not installed
> > > on the machine.
> > >
> > > The linux games are much much harder.
> >
> > This isn't fair...although Microsoft would love for everyone
> > to believe it.
> >
> > The practical truth is:
> >
> > * If you go out and spend $50 to buy a Loki game for Linux,
> >   it'll install and run just as easily as the corresponding
> >   game under Windoze.

Ok, and thank goodness those Loki games are in the stores
now.  Can freeware be made any easier?

> > So, what it boils down to is that commercial gamesbundled
> > on a CD-ROM and costing big bucks are easy to run and freeware
> >games that you have to download are not.  You get what you
> > pay for!

If that is true, why is it true?  If it is not true, why do
we want to believe it?

> Actually there is...listen to the lady with an open mind,  she is on your side
> and she, and others like her are your "customers", they are going to decide
> whether linux is forever second tier or if it becomes mainstream.

Thanks!  Exactly, can we build in a more mainstreamable way?
BTW, Linux is the Borg and you will be assimilated.

> > What makes it *seem* like Windoze games are easier is that
> > most of them are commercial whilst most Linux games are not.

So what is commercial?  Do you mean that the folks who are
writing them have more time because they are being paid and
can spend money to market them?

> > Getting OpenSource games onto CD-ROM inherently means they
> > won't be free anymore....that happens though.

I don't understand what you mean.  How are you using free
and why not?

> Maybe, maybe not. At least locally, I give out a CD with freeware educational
> games at my computer clinics we hold for the local home school group.  This
> takes alot of time to find, download and organize such a thing, but I feel it
> is worth it to show poeple there are alternatives.

That sounds wonderful!  Does the cd have a linux kernel on
it?  What percent of the folks are able to figure it out and
play the games?  I'm really proud of you for putting it
together and I'm glad you find it  rewarding.

> > I think I could come up with a reasonable idea for a kids game
> > in a few evenings of thinking - but it could easily take a whole
> > year of three or four people's hard work to turn that into a
> > finished game.

Exactly.  So does working together really help or not?

> > The idea that you could come to this list with an idea for a
> > game and somehow talk a group of people into writing it for
> > you is somewhat naive.  It would have to be a truly, awesomely
> > amazing idea to catch people's attention I think.  Other people's
> > views may differ - but that's how I see it.

I'm sure we (our family) will get Rolpher together
eventually.  What I am trying to talk about though is if
kids have ideas where can they go for help?  Do we as adults
listen?

> > You should also be aware that the attrition rate amongst new
> > OpenSource games projects is high.  After an initial rush of
> > enthusiasm and perhaps a very simple first pass at an implementation,
> > probably 80 or 90% of projects fold from lack of interest,
> > internal conflicts or something like that.

In my experience all sorts of projects are that way.  I'm
not sure it is a drawback, but it does make teambuilding a
much harder task.

Thanks to Steve for the advice.

Celia>

-