Re: [Libevent-users] Unable to compile libevent 2.0.18

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It shouldn't. ÂThe problem appears to be with the process that
>> converts config.h into event-config.h, and that _is_ using a somewhat
>> fragile technique. ÂPlease apply the attached patch 'mec-2.0.diff' and
>> see if that helps.
>>
>> Nick: I'm also including a version of the patch for the 2.1 development trunk.
>
> Looks plausible. ÂCan you explain what's wrong/fragile with the
> current approach? ÂI get that apparently something is going wrong, but
> I'd appreciate it if you could explain what.

I don't understand _why_ this happened, but it looks like the commands
that generate event-config.h were being run twice, _simultaneously_,
and since they mostly use >> that meant nearly everything that goes
into the file was duplicated.  My revision does all the writing in one
'sed' operation and then atomically replaces the old file (if any), so
even if this happens, it should be harmless.

zw