Re: [Libevent-users] The libevent-2.0.13-stable man pages

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Steve Dickson <SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It appears all the man pages that were under
> doxygen/man/man3/ have disappeared in 2.0.13 tarball.
> So how are man pages generated these days?

Hi, Steve!

It took me a while to figure out what you meant, since as far as I can
tell none of the recent 2.0.x series ship with manpages.  I think you
mean that "make doxygen" no longer generates manpages?

It looks like when I replaced the Doxyfile with a modern version to
make HTML and PDF documentation that wouldn't suck, I wound up
disabling manpage generation.  If you actually _liked_ the manpages
that doxygen was making, for now you can just edit the Doxyfile to
change the GENERATE_MAN option to YES.

(I'm not sure I'd want to make that on-by-default, or call the doxygen
manpages an official set of manpages, without some more actual work to
make them into, well, real manpages.  As they stand right now, it
looks like doxygen generates one oddly named and weirdly formatted
manpage per header file, and a zillion little ".so mainfile.3" files,
one for each function.  That's not what manpages are supposed to look
like.)

(For a minute, I thought you were talking about the actual manpages we
used to ship in the tarball.  We stopped shipping those around
2.0.5-alpha since they had grown so hideously out-of-date. If anybody
wants to rewrite them to reflect the actual APIs as they stand today,
that would be nifty.)

For general documentation info, there are IMO two good places for
documentation about Libevent right now. You can look in the doxygen
comments in the header files; I keep a formatted version automatically
updated from the 2.0 branch here:
   http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-2.0/doxygen/html/index.html
though that might move in the future.  There's also a partial reference here:
   http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-book/

If anybody can put in the work to make the manpages that good too, or
to figure out how to generate good manpages out of one of the sources
above, that would be great.

yrs,
--
Nick