Re: [Libevent-users] Deadlock when calling bufferevent_free from an other thread

Hi Nick/Others,

The thing to realise is that the current libevent _API_ doesn't lead
itself to being thread-safe.

This is my motivation behind my original comment of "threading should
be left to the API user, not the library."

I had the same problem in Squid. The internal APIs don't lead
themselves to safe thread handling (eg their "callback data" methods.)
So threading it would naturally lead to very racy, very crappy looking
concurrency.

So I suggest you start by learning from the current brokenness, design
what a replacement API should look like that respects threaded-ness,
and consider morphing the current libevent API to look like that for
the next major release.

Adrian