Re: [Libevent-users] evhttp server on unix socket

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 07:28:25 +0100
Christophe Zbierski <czbierski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to bind an HTTP server on unix socket instead of
> address and port (int evhttp_bind_socket
> <http://monkey.org/%7Eprovos/libevent/doxygen/evhttp_8h.html#c0d2930caef8350823771b49c2f31835>(struct
> evhttp *http, const char *address, u_short port) ).

I don't know fur sure, and I believe it should require some patch.

However, I am interested to understand why you are asking that.

In particular, at least under Linux, I know unfortunately no Web
browser (or other HTTP client) able to send HTTP requests on an Unix
socket.

I would find extremely useful if there existed (on some Linux browsers)
a URL scheme for that. Imagine if opening
  unixsock:/tmp/somedir/socket//goo/bar?v=x
would talk HTTP protocol to a unix socket /tmp/somedir/socket and GET
the /goo/bar page with parameter v=x

I am not familiar with FireFox internals to implement that.  I heard it
might even be implemented as a FireFox plugin (but I am not sure).

Christophe, do you have such browser extensions in mind, or are you
only willing to do HTTP on sockets programmatically, outside of any
browser and user web interface?

Cheers.
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***