Re: [Libevent-users] Plan for backporting bugfixes to stable releases

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, all!  Here's a thing I wrote up to try to explain a proposed
policy for what to backport to 2.0.x once it's stable, and what to
backport to 1.4.x after 2.0.x is released.  Absent major problems with
it, the current Libevent core developers are probably going to stick
with this for official releases, though of course nothing is written
in stone.

In other news, we have had almost no bugs found in 2.0.9-rc so far.
Absent big issues getting discovered, we'll probably be releasing
2.0.10-stable some time in the next week or two.

The one scary thing is that good changes will get stuck in a year or multi-year development process.  A good tempo for a project like this would be 6 month intervals so we have a chance of regularly hitting distros like Fedora  and Ubuntu and enough useful changes have probably accumulated in that interval.  Consider 2.0, which is a huge improvement over 1.4, but has yet to be found on disros I know of.

With the 6 month release cycle, doing at minimum 1 or 2 year stable periods would quickly become overwhelming.  Another page from the Linux playbook:  nominate "Long Term Support" releases for "enterprise" customers that want to bundle, and end mainstream support for the intermediate releases after the the next 2 are stable.

Regards,
Kevin