Re: [Libevent-users] Q: Exception callbacks and events that should run immediately

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 07:28:25PM +0000, Alexander Kolbasov wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2012, at 7:32 AM, Mark Ellzey wrote:

> >> But if the peer die without closing the socket, you will never get a read
> >> event. In this case you will fail when writing to the socket.
> >>
> >> You can simulate this by disconnecting the peer from the network.
> >
> > Writing to the socket, in most cases, not something you want to do just
> > to determine if the socket is alive.
> >
> > If a peer is disconnected, e.g., it shuts down, the OS *should*
> > eventually time-out the session which will result in your eventcb being
> > executed.
> >
> > Another option is to set your own read timeout on the socket.
>
> Does it mean that peer close is not triggering EV_READ callback and the user should
> periodically timeout and attempt reads and check for read errors?

Depends on what you mean by peer-closed. I think in this thread we were
speaking about the situation where a client never sends a RST/FIN, i.e.,
the client host is shut down during transmission.

If you set a read timeout via libevent or the OS times the connection
out, the event callback, not the read callback is executed.