Re: [Libevent-users] inet_ntop and inet_pton

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Jeroen Habraken <vexocide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On lines 1499 and 1500 in evutil.c from libevent-2.0.10-stable I've
> found the following:
>
> #define USE_INTERNAL_NTOP
> #define USE_INTERNAL_PTON
>
> which leads to the built-in inet_ntop and inet_pton never being used.
> Why are these defined?

I'm not sure I remember; they have been there since the first
ntop/pton patch went in over 2 years ago.  My *guess* would be that
the goal was to get consistent behavior, since not all ntop/pton
implementations behave the same way with all inputs.  (That is, some
pton implementatinos are a bit lax on what they consider to be an
erroneous IPv6 address, and some ntop implementations will format the
same IPv6 address differently from one another.)

Is this causing problems for somebody?

--
Nick