[Libevent-users] combining evhttp_start and evhttp_make_request

I am writing an app that uses evhttp_start to call a handler

then when a handler is called upon a http request,

i have evhttp_make_request called to fetch and return data from a remote host.

Without using evhttp_make_request, evhttp_start can handle thousands of connections.

When I have evhttp_make_request to fetch data from a remote host upon each http client request,

it appears to have some problems such as its slower, and starts blocking.

I looked around for example code but haven't found anything good.

What is the right way to make this functionality work properly? Should I skip using evhttp_make_request

and simply use the raw event , bufferevent and callback functions?