Re: [Libevent-users] When to use libevent?

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Stef Bon <stefbon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm building a construction serving the user in his/her homedirectory
> easy access to various resources like
> a SMB share, USB stick, partition on harddisks etc. See:
>
> http://linux.bononline.nl/projects/mount.md5key.new/
>
> I'm wondering, when writing a fuse module to get access to an Internet
> service like Flickr or a webservice
> like a cloud, is libevent required??

Well, Libevent is only a library that provides compatibility across
different operating systems' asynchronous IO facilities.  As such, it
is basically never *required* for a new project; you could always
replace it with direct calls to the underlying OS facilities.  Since
FUSE is Linux-only, you could probably just write your networking code
to use epoll or aio and forget about portability layers.

As for the question of whether you *should* or *could* use Libevent in
implementing a user-space filesystem... I don't know why you couldn't.
 You can get an intro to what libevent can do for you at
http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-book/  .  Only you can decide
whether that functionality is a good fit for your program, though.

yrs,
--
Nick