Re: [Libevent-users] Fwd: leaking munmap

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Black Hole <randomblackhole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Hm. Seems plausible; I wonder if there's a way to write a test for this.

> On a related note, would there be any benefit in caching the pagesize
> instead of calling sysconf() each time? Something like:
>>
>> /* pagesize should be a power of 2 */
>> long getpagesize_(void) {
>>     static long page_size = -2;
>>     if (page_size == -2) {
>> #ifdef SC_PAGE_SIZE
>>         page_size = sysconf(SC_PAGE_SIZE);
>> #elif defined(_SC_PAGE_SIZE)
>>         page_size = sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE);
>> #else
>>         page_size = 4096;
>> #endif
>>     }
>>     return page_size;
>> }

Is there a platform where sysconf is slow or expensive?  My
understanding is that it's usually (always?) a libc function, not a
syscall, and it should run pretty fast.

> Also, in evbuffer_file_segment_materialize() around line 2980, the
> calculation of "offset_leftover" we can remove the modulus in favour of a
> mask.
>>
>> long page_size = getpagesize_();
>>
>> if (page_size == -1)
>>
>>         goto err;
>>
>> offset_leftover = offset & (page_size - 1);

Assuming that the page size is always a power of 2, yeah.  (I'm not
aware of any systems pathological enough to have 6K pages or
something, so this should be fine.)

--
Nick