[Libevent-users] using libEvent 2.x with Visual C++

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question, but I haven't been able to find an answer in the documentation or mailing list archives.

My ultimate goals are:

- I'd like to use libEvent from an application built with Visual C++ 2010
- I'd like libEvent to be a DLL (not a static library)
- I want to use the OpenSSL integration

I'm making the following assumptions:

- I need to compile libEvent with the same compiler that I want to compile my own code with (since libEvent doesn't seem to have an equivalent to OpenSSL's "applink.c" that bridges between the two compilers' runtimes)
- The "configure" script can only be used to build with MinGW or CygWin
- Therefore, I need to use Makefile.nmake
- Besides having some scary comments at the top, Makefile.nmake currently doesn't work (failed with some undefined symbols like _evutil_gettimeofday when I tried it) - Even if Makefile.nmake worked, it only builds static libraries, and doesn't build the OpenSSL integration

My questions are:

- Are all of my above assumptions/observations correct?
- Are there others interested in using libEvent with Visual C++, or am I the only one? - Am I better off starting with the Makefile.nmake and fixing it, or would I be better off starting from scratch with something like CMake? - Is the build system likely to be the main issue in getting libEvent to work with Visual C++, or is it expected that there will be issues with the code itself, in getting it to compile with Visual C++?

Thanks for any answers/thoughts about this!

--Patrick