[Libevent-users] Cleanly free-ing OpenSSL bufferevents

From http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-book/Ref6a_advanced_bufferevents.html:

"Note that when BEV_OPT_CLOSE_ON_FREE is set on a SSL bufferevent, a
clean shutdown will not be performed on the SSL connection. This has
two problems: first, the connection will seem to have been "broken" by
the other side, rather than having been closed cleanly: the other
party will not be able to tell whether you closed the connection, or
whether it was broken by an attacker or third party. Second, OpenSSL
will treat the session as "bad", and removed from the session cache.
This can cause significant performance degradation on SSL applications
under load."

Is this still the case? I'm unable to cleanly shutdown the SSL
connection, regardless of whether I do the lazy shutdown as suggested
or not. Worse yet, when I do try to do the lazy shutdown, I'm hitting
segmentation faults. This is on OS X Lion with libevent 2.0.17. The
backtrace looks similar to:

0   libssl.0.9.8.dylib            	0x00007fff99e4fea7 ssl3_send_alert + 103
1   libssl.0.9.8.dylib            	0x00007fff99e4eae8 ssl3_shutdown + 72
2   raptor_test                   	0x000000010ee65edc disconnect() + 84

Diwaker
--
http://maginatics.com