[Libevent-users] single vs multiple epoll event loop

I am designing a server to handle over 50000-100000 simultaneous
connection. Currently I am using single epoll in edge trigger mode for
all the connections. All is well till 50-100 connections, however
after 50-100  connections I do see random lag between actual packet
received and epoll notification - sometime as high as 5-10 seconds. To
confirm the problem, I ran both tcpdump and my server simultaneously
and I could see that tcpdump instantly shown the packet while epoll
still stucked on epoll_wait.

Any suggestions what could be wrong? Do you think instead of single
epoll, creating multiple epolls with each watching a lesser number of
sockes will help?

Thanks
Jim