Re: [Libevent-users] the relation between event loop and struct event variable lifetime and scope

MY special case::
in the main
.c int main(){ struct event_base *base; struct event pcap_ev; ..... // here I get a file descriptor pcapfd event_set(&pcap_ev, pcapfd, EV_READ|EV_PERSIST, on_capture, pcap_handle); event_base_set(base, &pcap_ev); event_add(&pcap_ev, NULL); ..... event_base_dispatch(base); } on_capture callback function: void *on_capture(int pcapfd, short op, void *arg) { pcap_t *handle; handle = (pcap_t *)arg; fqueue_t* pkt_queue; pkt_queue = init_fqueue(); pcap_dispatch(handle, -1, collect_pkt, pkt_queue); // this function put all the cached packets into pkt_queue process_pcap(pkt_queue); } the sub-routine process_pcap(): void process_pcap(pkt_queue);{ for (pkt in pkt_queue){ // here is pseudo code insert(table, pkt); // here insert the pkt into a certain table struct event pkt_ev; evtimer_set(&pkt_ev, timer_cb, NULL); // I want to call timer_cb after timeout event_base_set(base, &pkt_ev); event_add(&pkt_ev, timeout); } } the callback function timer_cb(): timer_cb(...){ if(...) delete(table, pkt); ....... }

I'm just afraid timer_cb() won't be called because pkt_ev is a local variable.