Re: [Libevent-users] serial port in libevent

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM, John Dunn <John_Dunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking into adding serial port support into my libevent application and have a couple of questions.
>
> - Has anyone done this yet? Sample code would be great.
> - Is it possible ( and does it make sense ) to use bufferevent for dealing with com ports?
> - Our app runs on both Linux and Windows. As far as I can tell Windows only supports com ports via HANDLE. Is there a reasonable way to make this work with libevent?

The unix answer is pretty good: you should be able to tread a serial
port like any other fd, and use it with events and bufferevents and so
forth.

The windows answer is not so good yet: Libevent does not yet support
HANDLEs on windows.  There was a thread a little while ago about what
work will have to get done to add support:
  http://archives.seul.org/libevent/users/Mar-2013/msg00017.html
was my response, and other messages might be interesting too.

Anybody got some good advice for a workaround?

yrs,
--
Nick