Re: [Libevent-users] Help with progress thread

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
 [...]
>> So I'm assuming that you've got all the threading callbacks set up
>> (probably via evthread_use_pthreads()) before you created the event
>> base, so that evthread_make_base_notifiable() was called on the
>> event_base when you created it.  If that's not the case, that's
>> probably the problem there.
>
> I missed that - this may well be my problem. Let me dig into this a little and get back to you.
>
> FWIW: I don't see myself drop out of the event loop when I add the event. In fact, just the opposite - I'm stuck in the loop and can't get out. So I'm not sure the bug mentioned below is accurate.
>
> Let me see what happens when I setup the event base for notification.

To clarify, it should set itself up to be notifiable if you have
threading initialized before you create it.  (If you're going to
access an event_base from multiple threads, you MUST initialize
threading, or else there won't be any locks, and you'll be in a world
of race conditions.)

Then again, calling evthread_make_base_notifiable() on an existing
event_base shouldn't hurt, since it's (supposed to be) idempotent.

--
Nick