Re: [Libevent-users] can libevent-devel for x86_64 and i686 coexist on a x86_64 machine?

[The original message went to the old, supposed-to-be-defunct,
"libevent-users@xxxxxxxxxx" address.  The mailing list is now
@freehaven.net.  Please see http://archives.seul.org/libevent/users/
for into on how to subscribe.  Niels, can we do anything about
shutting down the old monkey.org list?]

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Mr Dash Four
<mr.dash.four@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am compiling a set of packages for two different architectures (i686 and
> x86_64 with the build machine being x86_64) which require both libevent and
> libevent-devel installed.
>
> From what I can gather there won't be any problems if I install both
> libevent.i686 and libevent.x86_64 packages on the same machine as there is no
> clash of files or directories.
>
> This does not appear to be the case for libevent-devel, however! Quick check of
> the include directories gives me this:

This is something that the distribution should be handling for you.  I
don't know how your distribution does these things, but here are some

* Install the include files into separate directories depending on the arch.

* When generating -devel packages, rename
/usr/include/event2/event-config.h to
/usr/include/event2/event-config-ARCH1.h ...
/usr/include/event2/event-config-ARCHn.h, and have a new
/usr/include/event2/event-config.h that conditionally includes the
right one.  This is nice and easy if you can get away with it on your
platform (as you probably can for word size), but not if you have to
support multiple architectures that you can't distinguish at compile
time.

 * Install event-config.h to /usr/lib/libevent/include/event2 and/or
/usr/lib64/libevent/include/event2 as appropriate; adjust the .pc
files as needed.  This will break the build process of anything that
doesn't use pkgconfig, so other packages might need patching too.

There are probably other options as well, but these are the ones I've
seen distributions do in the wild.  If your doesn't handle the case
correctly, you should probably file a bug with whoever maintains its
Libevent package.

hth,
--
Nick Mathewson