Re: [Libevent-users] mysql client with libevent

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 10:52:17AM -0500, Nulik Nol wrote:

> > Crap, I just realized this is completely off topic - but my main point
> > is to gather requirements, and make a determination if you're willing to
> > risk flexibility for possible bumps in performance. Or just abstract the
> > frakk out of your query API so that it can be swapped out transparently
> > if needed (think DBI).

> No, you are underestimating the power of custom design.

Exactly. As I stated before custom design is fine if you are sure you
don't want to have to make all sorts of code changes for another type of
query. I underestimate custom design in order to create easy-to-manage
flexibility for future uses.

> For example, a blogging website that offers blog posts to its users
> can use no database engine at all.

Of course it can - http://nanoblogger.sourceforge.net/ once again, it
was designed with very finite operations.

> The nature of the application is that the content is almost never deleted.

Read-only data also allows for caching and replication. So I agree.

> And for search, the Google is your index. Yeah, yeah, you heard it
> right.

You are assuming web-based applications here.

> Btrees ? You don't need them really. Of course, this is
> exaggeration, but this is where the trend goes.

It is an exaggeration, and a big one, not to mention application
specific. Take statistical information gathering for example, do
you really want to use a in-memory key/val store and manually iterate
over each entry to find an entry with a value greater than some number?

Of course, one of the better features of the NoSQL model is that it fits
perfectly with map-reduce. That is, if you are working in an environment
where you have the capacity to do distributed computing, otherwise it's
just another hoop to jump through.

> issue. The NoSQL movement is motivated by gain of speed, and they will
> achieve it.

Once again, my point was that you have to look at your current
requirements and future expected requirements. It would be interesting
to have a NoSQL vs Relational contest. You would be given a task of
implementing some type of application, have NoSQL people do their thing,
and DB people do theirs. And see the results :)