Re: [Libevent-users] off_t confusion

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Michael Herf <herf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> An autoconf setting (to use largefile or not) would be a great start, and I
> like the idea of defaulting to 64-bit, even though it will probably break
> some people who don't compile that way but use off_t in their code. From
> what I can tell, a 64-bit interface to the OS is more general, and then if
> you have to expose legacy 32-bit stubs to keep existing code from breaking,
> that might be ok? (Hopefully you don't have to go the fopen64() route to
> stay compatible.)

So for 2.1, I've got a candidate solution in my github repository in a
branch called "21_largefile_support".  It makes it so that libevent
itself is always built with large-file support, but that its headers
never use the platform off_t (as discussed in my last email).  It
could use review!

This shouldn't actually break applications that don't use largefile
support, since their value of off_t won't affect anything.
Applications that need to use 2.1 will need to get recompiled anyway:
2.1 _is_ free to break ABI compatibility until it's stable.

We can't do this easily in 2.0, though, since 2.0 doesn't have the
evconfig-private.h mechanism to add in build options, and since
changing the type of ev_off_t would break binary compatibility.  I'm
not so sure that this is worth breaking binary compatibility for in a
stable release.

--
Nick