Re: Starting the website's look-and-feel :)

Paul Tiseo wrote:

>	Well, as the new "WAD" I have begun with the web page design. Just so you
>know I am not already afflicted with the linuxgames webmaster curse right
>after having taken on the mantle, I have a very cursory overview available at:
>
>	http://heaven.gofast.net/~alphadog/main.html

Side note: Can you please put the site up on sunsite whenever possible? We
made very bad experiences with webmaster creating the site solely on their
own computer :-/
(I'll have a look at the site later)

>graphic content low so as to get something up quickly. No need for
>whizz-bang graphics that'll slow things down for the busy developer, I

Sounds good.

>the old site. Please suggest additional general categories if you think of
>any I missed in the latest flurry of emails. :) I fully realize that

I'd follow the "old" categories where possible:

Info for developers
	Available Tools (SDKs, gfx programs, compilers etc)
	In Practice (Tutorials & more)
	Examples (example code + comments)
	How To Start (Project setup and organization)

Free Projects
	Games (cool new game projects)
	SDKs (spots on the SDKs out there, mainly discussing their goals
		and background as the technical stuff is covered in the
		Tools part.)
	SDK Compatibility (White papers describing common data types etc to
		help SDK makers ensure that their SDK can be used in
		combination with others)

General
	News'n'Thoughts (The news archives, Editorials etc. Perhaps this
		(editorials etc) should become it own major part ?)
	Discussions/Mailing list (ML info, IRC meeting summaries,
		collection of generic comments)
	Resources (Links)
	Background (What are we doing, who are we?)
	History (Project evolution; should perhaps just be part of the
		Background thing)
	Supporters (Sponsors, Hosts etc)

>	* News: This would greet the visitor on the main page.
>               It should be used to announce brief, noteworthy
>               news (new/updated development tool versions,
>               industry news, new additions or updates to site
>               content, etc.)

Don't forget to plan some "news archive" where all the older news is kept.

>	* Mailing Lists: We could list a page with means for us
>                        to exchange ideas. Email lists, irc, etc...

Already exists and IMHO doesn't need much more polish. See the Discussions
part. BTW: Most of the old IRC logs are missing in the recovered old site.
The PenguinPlay site still should have all of them. I hope I don't forget
uploading them for you.

>	* Links: Other sites that would be of interest. All sites
>                that are referenced on our site should be included
>                here. Perhaps even evaluated and given an LGDC
>                "seal-of-approval"

I'd only (or primarily) put the links in here that don't fit in the other
categories. Otherwise it propably becomes too much...

>	* Code Repository: This would really lend itself to a
>                          databased format. Code snippets. Full game
>                          source. Anything that is code. Some just
>                          straight code, others with explanations.

I'd keep that either in the "Examples" part (the ones with good comments)
or on FTP (with some HTML overview, one line per piece of code or so).

Brian, do you know if we have FTP space? Ian?

>	* Coding Theory: Articles more about how to code than actual
>                        code itself.  Articles on design, art,
>                        sound, etc. See Game Developer magazine or
>                        loonygames.com for an idea of what might be
>                        good for this.

Only very little. There are already many good sites having tons of that
generic stuff. We don't want to replicate that.

>	* The Industry: Views and interviews with actual commercial
>                       and/or serious efforts.

Hmmm, good point. Perhaps as a category int the same corner as the
editorials etc? Difficult.

>usually much too busy.) I myself am considering doing a series for the
>newbie...a trials-and-tribulation, journal-type column of my experiences as
>I delve into the linux game environment.

That's one of the Things I'd really like to see here.

	Christian