Re: Question about timing

On 07-Apr-2000 Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>
>> > c) is precise enough (I think) - but I am worried about portability and
>> >    overrun. And, this is only for my process, correct?
>>
>> It is spec'd as measuring time since the beginning of the program.
>> It's the one I suggest if you just want to normalize game time, so it
>> doesn't run too fast to play on some machines and too slow to play on
>> others. I'm not sure what you need precise time for, if you need a
>> precise real world date/time, then this function may not be suitable.
>> If you just need to know how long a frame took to render or something,
>> this is probably the easiest and most portable way to do it.
>
> This is written in the man page as the processor time used by the
> program. This doesn't sound clear to me: is that the CPU time used or
> the wall clock time (the cycle counter in the CPU)? This makes a HUGE
> difference!

I'm pretty sure that the time is in processor ticks since the program started
execution, it's not referring to the kind of processor time used in calculating
load (yeah, it's a pretty ambigious man page...). The function does what we
need it to.

>> yeah, you've overlooked some, but they're not very important :) I
>> wrote a small lame tutorial that might be what you're looking for,
>> it's been waiting for the new site to get into place... if you wanna
>> look over it, it's at http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke/gamedev/timer/.
>> It's probably nothing new since you've already looked at the
>> functions...
>
> Access is refused...

hrm, must've been an oops in the apache config when it got redone :/
http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke/gaemdev/timer/timer.html works fine (the index.html
is a link to timer.html... it must've lost the FollowSymLinks flag)

> --
> Pierre Phaneuf
> Systems Exorcist

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.