Re: Fixed lgdc IRC channel?

On 07-Apr-2000 Christian Reiniger wrote:
> Bert Peers wrote:
>
>>> I don't think having fixed times for "meetings" is useful or good now, so
>>> just agreeing on the "place" should be the best. And perhaps something
>>> more regular will emerge from that in time.
>>
>>True, but without any guidelines, when will be the first meeting be ?
>>It appears as if people need to find their way back into LGDC a bit
>>(hey, it's alive again ! *g*), so, er, just idling on the channel for
>
> *grin* Good point.
>
>>the next 2 weeks doesn't seem viable..  Should we schedule something
>>for the first time only ?  Go the idle-and-wait way ?  Wait until the
>>site is online ?.. or...
>
> What about waiting until the site is online and then having a "big" IRC
> party? Free virtual beer for everyone! ;)
>
> We'd have to (1) agree on a time for the new site to go online, (2) agree
> on a time for the party, (3) announce it on the old site, (4) announce it on
> the new site and (5) be there.

I've never really seen much of a success with scheduled irc meetings, but I've
had success with a persistant channel where people drift in when they can.  It
allows people to participate no matter what their schedule... Any attempt at a
scheduled meeting will result in some people excluded due to matters beyond
their control. I, for instance, am in CST6CDT time, so a comfortable time for
someone in europe will be impossible for me, then add on problems like work and
school...

> Regarding (1):
>
> * The site seems to work rather well. A few buglets are popping up here and
> there, but nothing critical. I don't expect problems from this side.

when it goes live for real, lots more will pop up :)

> * I'd like to have all articles up when the site goes live.
> Problem1: That PHP config thing. No answer from Esben yet, but that should
> come soon.
> Problem2: Most of the authors have not created user accounts yet. That
> means we'll perhaps have to create "dummy" accounts for the missing ones.
> Un-nice, but well...

how about throwing e-mails to the authors and not posting until they comply? Or
a single dummy account, and re-own articles as the authors sign up?

> * When the site goes online the news section *has* to be maintained, i.e.
> news items have to appear on a daily basis. I don't have the time for this.
> Possible solution: several people say "ok, I'll hunt for news and post a
> few items each day". Remember, you don't have to take a real maintainer job
> for that.
> I can also mark a few people as "trusted", which will allow their
> newsitems to appear on the front page immediately (without requiring the
> maintainer to look through them first).
>

> Who volunteers?

* eery silence *

>       Christian
>
> PS: Any voices against OpenProjects for IRC?
> --
> Christian Reiniger
> Coordinator/Coder, PenguinPlay (http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/)
> Coordinator,       LGDC        (http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc/)
>
> Drive A: not responding...Formatting C: instead

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.