Re: New Site Betatest

Bert Peers wrote:

>  But I think you're right, a markup-based processing would be
>much simpler.  How about :
>1) the article should not specify any color codes at all.
>The php will insert a header anyway in which's <BODY> the
>correct colors are defined
>2) the article should use <code> for "code boxes", and <pre> for
>in-text snippets.  <pre> is untouched, <code> gets a special
>background color, and font
>3) the text font should be something like <font=%textfont%>
>4) top level headers are <H1>, subheaders are <H2>.
>(note that <H1> could be processed to really be
><H3><B> and </H1> -> </B></H3>, same thing for <H2> etc)
>
>What do you think ?

Ultimately something like that would be best. But as I said, it will take
some time until we can implement it.
But if you want to speed things up a bit, here's what you can do:

(1) Create some detailed docs on what can be customized, and how. That's
things like font face, colors (with multiple predefined colors, e.g.
TEXTCOLOR, LINKCOLOR, COMMENTCOLOR, CODEBACKGROUND etc), font size etc.

(2) Think about how the page *layout* can be customized, e.g. moving TOC
and the userinfo/poll column elsewere, expanding the page content area to
full page width for printable etc.

(3) Think about the "grand customization scheme", i.e. should we let the
user define her own color schemes or should we just let her select among
some predefined themes (...)?

Assume for the above that pages in different layouts/designs are
precalculated and cached (everything else is too slow) as far as possible

(4) Think about how the caching mechanism can be done. I got a proposal for
a file-based one from Outlaw Jim (Outlaw: may I publish it here?), but I
don't think it fits as-is (although it contains some rather good ideas).

Alternatively we could also settle for a simpler, intermediate system.

	Christian
--
Christian Reiniger
Coordinator/Coder, PenguinPlay (http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/)

Daddy, what does "FORMATING DRIVE C" mean?