RE: Weird OpenGL/GLU problem

On 12-Apr-2000 Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

(clip)

> I have no problem giving you a copy of the code, but it is not in a state
> suited for distribution and pretty embarrising. If you want to have a
> look, you can download
> http://www.challenge.dk/~madsdyd/3dse.20000407.tgz (200 KB)
>
> It needs a working GL/GLU (preferable accelerated) and a linux system. It
> will try to use /dev/dsp for sound. Most of the display stuff is in
> display.c.
>
> Mind you, the most (90%) of that code was hacked together from 02 AM to 1
> PM on last sunday morning (20000402) after I and a friend had been to a
> party... It is my first serious try on a game and I am currently rewriting
> it, which is why I am offering you the last stable version :-) A lot of
> stuff is broken, but the only thing I can't easily explain is the weird
> drop in framerate.
>
> Oh, hit c to try the framerate out (IIRC) - otherwise it is in keyboard.c

it is 'c' according to keyboard.c but it doesn't seem to do anything for me :/
I compiled and ran your program, and was unable to find a visual error... it
rendered each frame in about the same time (extremely slowly on my crappy
hardware). The only fluctuation in speed was due to the scene complexity, which
is expected. My setup is a cyrix 120mhz, 4m voodooG, X3.3.6 (debian 2.3),
Mesa3.1 (with debian), and running in a window (it probably would have been
fast fullscreen). What I'm thinking now is there may be a flaw in your driver
or configuration or something? *shrug* I was unable to reproduce it :)

> Thanks,
>
> Mads
>
> --
> Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
> Oh well, all operating systems crash constantly right? This is normal, right?
> It has to be, Microsoft couldn't be so popular if their OS was so bad, could
> they?
>   Yes they could, and they are. And if you fail to realize it, it's your own
> damn fault.
>                                - Ron Coscorrosa, in response to MS France FUD

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.