Options for game developers

Mark Collins wrote:

> How do you guys think people should go about selling Linux games?
>
> I've had a couple of ideas, as follows....
>
> 1) Online distrobution: Sell the games online. Games should be quite small
> and low cost (say, $5-$10 a pop).
>
> 2) Compilation CDs: Sell lots of games on CD. This could work with
> OpenSource games as well as closed source games.
>
> Opinions would be appreciated...

Hi Mark, hi all,

Mark's post reminds me of an article I read on Gamasutra some time ago:
"Internet Business Models: New Options for Game Developers" (by Ian
MacInnes). It makes some good points and I recommend reading it (or
re-reading it). It can be found here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000605/macinnes_01.htm

Basically the article says:

1) The current business model for games is a dinosaur.
2) Online distribution is the way to go.
3) Game developers don't need publishers or retailers.

--
Regards,
Bernie 'Bugs Bernie' Noel

"A rabbit will do for love what others wouldn't do for money."