Re: Scripting

Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > The one I'm writing now (which is not OpenSource) spends 37% of it's time
> > in non-rendering activity (I know - I'm staring at the profiler right now) - and
> > that's *despite* the fact that all of the transform and lighting code
> > is done in software.
>
> Just curious: Is that "A Real Game"(tm) or one of your wild flight
> simulators?

It's a game that'll be used to demonstrate a new graphics chip for use
in handheld 3D games.

In that sense, it's not a game that'll be played by hoards of people for
hundreds of hours - it's a game that has to show the capabilities of the
chip and prove that it works.  If the game keeps people happy for 10 minutes,
it's mission is complete.

OTOH, it's something of a flight sim...it's a football-like game played
by people riding various crazy flying machines in a low-gravity world.
There is a guy who rides a giant eagle, another who rides a cross between
a bicycle and a helicopter, a jet powered surf-board, a guy who dangles
beneath a massive construction crane...you name it!

I think it's CPU usage ratios are pretty typical though.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net