NVidia drivers and glPixelMap

I'm drawing colored bitmap fonts, changing the color pattern with
glPixelMap().
I call

//float table_r[], table_g[], table_b[], table_a[];
glPixelMapfv(GL_PIXEL_MAP_I_TO_R, 256, table_r);
glPixelMapfv(GL_PIXEL_MAP_I_TO_G, 256, table_g);
glPixelMapfv(GL_PIXEL_MAP_I_TO_B, 256, table_b);
glPixelMapfv(GL_PIXEL_MAP_I_TO_A, 256, table_a);

I do this both after and before changeing the raster position.
Then i call glDrawPixel() and draw the font bitmap.

With Mesa this works ok, but when i use the nvidia drivers, only the first set
of glPixelMap() calls is considered: consequent calls take effect only when i
reset the window (and so the GL context, i suppose) with freeglut.
I could not determine if this behavior follows the GL specification.
I tried with both nvidia drivers 1.0-5336 and 1.0-4496.
Is this a nvidia bug (if so, where may i submit a bug report?) or something
else?

Thanx,
Francesco Orsenigo