Re: Having problems with getting Nvidia hardware to work...

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:30:58AM +0100, Katie Lucas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:33:28PM -0700, Steve Baker wrote:
> > Katie Lucas wrote:
> > >OK, I've got a box with a GeForce2 in it. I'm testing out whether
> > >debian is a good platform for supporting it.
> > >
> > >I've installed Mesa. I've installed Glut. I've installed nvidia's X
> > >drivers.
> >
> > Don't install Mesa.  Mesa is the driver of last resort if a 'real' OpenGL
> > implementation does not exist.
> >
> > Uninstall Mesa - then go to www.nvidia.com head over to downloads and
> > install
> > their Linux drivers.
> >

> I thought I had to install Mesa first to get the OpenGL header files?
>
> Or do they come in one of the Nvidia packages I've missed?

The standard NVIDIA driver package includes headers, but does not install them
unless you specify the --opengl-headers option. It is very common practice to
install the NVIDIA drivers over a copy of Mesa, and I have never had a problem
doing it this way.  If you have had problems, then you may have to sort out
which versions of libGL.so* come from which, and mop up the ones you don't
want. The NVIDIA ones look like this on my system:

    /usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.7167
    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.7167

Best of luck.

Al
--