Re: Having problems with getting Nvidia hardware to work...

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:24:56AM -0500, Stephen J Baker wrote:
> Katie Lucas wrote:
>
> >One annoyance is that my glxgears rate has dropped to 40-50 fps. Which
> >sounds awful low even for an 800MHz machine[1]. "glxinfo" swears all
> >up and down we're using the Nvidia renderer.
>
> On a GF2, you should be seeing hundreds of hertz from glxgears - it hardly
> matters which CPU you have.
>
> >I'm wondering if it's refresh clamped, because there's no tearing in
> >the image...
>
> That would force it to a solid sub-multiple of your monitor's frame
> rate (and it's certainly not the default behavior of the nVidia
> driver).  40 to 50Hz isn't likely to be a submultiple of your monitor's
> refresh rate - which is probably 60, 72 or 76Hz.
>
> I suspect that your copy of glxgears was compiled against a '.a' version of
> Mesa and is therefore still using software OpenGL.  40 to 50Hz would be
> about
> right for an 800MHz CPU providing the window you are running it in isn't
> too large.  I bet that if you enlarge the window to fill the screen, the
> frame rate would drop to maybe 10Hz or worse...that would be a dead giveaway
> that you'd still have software rendering.

Yeah, that's a symptom.

> Try 'ldd glxgears' - it should say something like:
>
>         libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0x40233000)
>         libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x402cd000)
>         libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x40721000)
>         libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0x40df9000)
>
> ...if it doesn't then you are probably still using the wrong OpenGL
> library somehow.

I've given up with the debian packages. I've just installed the
libraries from the Nvidia site's installer.

And lo; 800fps on glxgears. (without relinking, mind you)

I think I'd not quite fixed the hacked libraries, but the the Nvidia
installer finished the job off properly.

Right. Now to see if I can get SDL to install...

So, it looks like everything works peachy if you install Mesa, Glut
etc from the debian packages and THEN run the proper installer from
Nvidia. Then you get all the headers for everything and working
libraries.

Trying to do Mesa, Glut and then the Nvidia packages from debian seems
to Not Work.