Re: [linuxgames] 3D on Laptop

dulsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've been thinking of getting a new laptop. One thing I'd like to be able to do is run Neverwinter Nights with open source drivers. I understand that open source graphics drivers aren't great for hardware acceleration. I just figured a 5 year old game could probably be run with it combined with a faster cpu (or two). Of the linux laptop vendors I asked, they said you would need the binary drivers. Is linux graphics capability that bad that we still can't run an old game using open source? I suppose I'll have to wait for nouveau to make more progress.

Very interesting question. I'd expect that nowadays, the 'older' generation of Radeons would perform fine for NWN with the open-source drivers - but this isn't the generation of cards you'll find in new laptops.

I'd be really interested in any more modern suggestions.

--Adam