sound worries

hello people,

           i`m underway writing 2 games at the moment... a tron based
game (for a laugh) and a 3d space sim (a much more long-term
project.....).. anyway....  i`ve had no problems so far coding the
graphics and main game engine in C using SVGALib, however i now have
come to a point where i want to add music and sound effects.   The
question is  HOW!!!!!  i looked at OSS but it doesn`t actually do
multichannel mixing (as far as i could see anyway), i need to at least
be able to play a few sound effects at once, altough i would rather play
a 4 channel mod and some sound effects.....  coding for DOS you can use
the MIDAS or JUDAS sound systems which can deal with the
this for Linux???  speed is my major concern.....  i really do not care
about compatibility with other Unixes, just Linux on x86`s really.....

do i have to code my own mixing routines or what???

thanks for your time...
James