guide for (future) hardcore linux gamers

I'd like to throw in an idea: to write a guide for people who would eventually
want to get the best out of their machines for gaming. This would mean that a
set of scripts would be written which would i.e. disable stuff like fetchmail
and other networking stuff. Fetchmail was mentioned here before (I'm not sure
whether it was agreed on it being disturbing during gameplay though:).

I know that these scripts (or whatever it would be) cannot be 'just written'
because of the variety in configuration of Linux systems.

What do you think?

Tomas