Re: Call For Articles

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> I have just started to write a small tutorial on how to install a game into
> the filesystem hierarchy, according to the FHS
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-toc.html), since thing are
> handled very different than under DOS/Windows that IMHO could be usefull
> for somebody. It will cover the following topics:
>
> * Which files are used by a game
> * Where to put these files
> * How to handle extra levels and add ons
> * How to handle cdrom data
> * How to get this to work with automake/autoconf
> (Anything important I missed)

Very interesting! Especially how to handle extra levels/addons and how
to find CD-ROM data (and your regular data too, if your game is
relocatable)...

One thing maybe borderline is the issue of distribution of new versions.
I assume the Linux Game Development Center also helps commercial games,
not only open sources projects here.

We have a game we packaged in RPM format and we wanted to know how we
could make a "small download" that was okay with the RPM database. I
mean, I could make a tar.gz with an update script, but if you then did
an "rpm -V", it would scream at the "corrupted" files...

Here, "updating" means changing the main executable and patching a
resource file.

For now, we only do full downloads for Linux and Windows people gets to
download small "patch" executable...

A mini-tutorial on how to do a proper installation script for .tar.gz
binary distributions would be nice too...

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/