Re: Why code your own library?

"Pedro Medeiros" <otavio@linkexpress.com.br> writes:

> I don't think that's how it works. If you are using code
> that is GPLed and that can be downloaded somewhere
> else, you are not hiding anything that is not yours. Maybe
> if you charge money for using GPL software alone or if
> you reuse code from GPL software that is not yours and
> change the license. I think this is a real violation.

You are not allowed to use GPLed code inside a closed source project,
but you are allowed to use LGPLed libaries dynamically linked to your
binary, so using a LGPL libary for a comercial project is totally
legal. For further questions see:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html#translations
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html