Great site-- May I ask you a question?

Hello,
We are planning to develop a massively multiplayer game site consisting of very simple 2d/3d (low bandwidth for quick download, not the incredible 3d graphics type) of games geared to a mainstream audience.  These games will be highly database driven and we were interested in developing this site on a linux platform but weren't sure if linux is at a stage to support a site like this?  What I mean is, are resources in place to develop strong database connectivity for a mmg? While the games are hosted on a linux server, are there sufficient resources to develop a simple downloadable client that can dowloaded to a variety of client platforms (windows, mac) NOW?

I would really appreciate any recommendations or input you may have to help me decide which way to go with this.

Thanks!!!
Deborah