Re: SDL vs GGI

Brett_A._Letner@NOTES.UP.COM wrote:

> >> Console is (almost) dead.
> I hope this is not true.
> Personally, I would rather not use X at all.
> The only reason I do, is for Netscape and games that I can't play from the
> console.

Why are you avoiding X?

> >> Unless somethings skirms and big changes happen, console video is now
> >> almost unusable.
> I hope fbcon will address this.
> In fact, it is already very easy to access graphics from the console by
> directly opening the framebuffer (no hardware acceleration, though).

Well, that would be nice, but a playable game at 640x480 in 16 bit color
depth or better almost directly *requires* hardware acceleration. With
the fast CPUs we have today and the monstrously powerful video
accelerators we have now, standard VGA is the *past*. Sure, there will
be new games in those modes, but the really sharp offerings that will be
defining the leading edge will be better.

Now, do you want to be defining the future or do you want to be living
in the past?

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/