Re: SDL vs GGI

>> Why are you avoiding X?
The real question is - Why run X?
The only reason I can come up with is that some applications only run under
X.  If netscape and xboard ran in the console I would have almost zero
reason to run X.
What does X buy me that I couldn't get from fbcon?

<snip>
>> Well, that would be nice, but a playable game at 640x480 in 16 bit color
>> depth or better almost directly *requires* hardware acceleration. With
>> the fast CPUs we have today and the monstrously powerful video
>> accelerators we have now, standard VGA is the *past*. Sure, there will
>> be new games in those modes, but the really sharp offerings that will be
>> defining the leading edge will be better.
I'm not suggesting that we don't use the capabilities of modern graphics
hardware, in fact, I'm suggesting just the opposite.  Why access this
hardware through another layer such as X, when you should be able to get at
the hardware directly though the kernel?

>>Now, do you want to be defining the future or do you want to be living
>>in the past?
Well, beer was cheaper back then.

-Brett