Re: SDL vs GGI

Brett_A._Letner@NOTES.UP.COM wrote:

> Talk about a coincidence!  I have almost this exact setup.  A 17" ViewSonic
> and 8 MB G200.
> None of this has made me believe that X was "good", however.  In fact, it
> has made me wonder more why I am wasting resources on X instead of giving
> them to my apps.

Precisely which "resources" are being wasted?  I guarantee that if you
have upgraded your 386, it won't be worth arguing about.

> >> And X applications are better behaved. I just feel that taking over the
> >> full screen with the rest of the computer screaming in pain isn't
> >> exactly my idea of Unix, which is more of a friendly, resource-sharing,
> >> exchange-saavy kind of thing.
> This puzzles me.  It is my impression that X is one of the most
> mis-behaving apps out there.  About the only times I've had to reboot have
> been because of X or an X app.

THat's ridiculous!  Checking my system logs, I can tell you that I have
not
rebooted my machine since I installed SuSE 6.1 a couple of months ago. I
use X exclusively!  If your machine is dying that frequently, you have
a serious problem somewhere.  Linux just doesn't have to be rebooted - X
or no X!

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker