Re: Game Logic

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 07:19:00PM -0500, Steve Baker wrote:
> Mithras wrote:
>
> > Why not try Python?
>
> I think it's a good choice also.
>
> > I don't know about Python's performance...
>
> Some simple tests I tried seemed to suggest 50 times slower than C++...
> I've heard Python guru's claim only five times slower - but they were
> not claiming that for a line-by-line translated program - instead they
> claim that because it's (supposedly) a higher level language than C++,
> you write fewer statements - so the fact that those statements run
> slower matters less.
>
> I don't think I buy that story.

I am currently in the late stages of porting a large game server engine from
python to C++ in order to get better performance, and I have found that in
many cases a single line of python can get replaced by many more lines of
C++ in order to get the same functionality. C++ is undoubtedly much faster,
but a line by line comparison is in no way a fair one.

Al