Re: OpenGL resolutions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katie Lucas" <katie@fysh.org>
To: <linuxgames@sunsite.dk>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: OpenGL resolutions

<snippety snip>

> Hmmm. I'll see if I can get it working at all first. Before getting
> REALLY adventurous. Have to wait until next week tho, since the lappy
> is software only..

Well, I use a laptop for my Linux development (use Win2k here at work),
which is software only. You don't need a 3D accelerator to change the
resolution....

<snippety snip>

> S'not "Women" it's "People with Lives".

I have a life, and I still find time to code, work, and answer questions
from lazee people, as well as write articles for a magazine (Linux Format)
and a new book (Advanced AI Techniques For Games Programmers), AND flirt
with every female I can.... :)

> I could either a) do something fun or b) spend three weeks watching my
> "not on the list of monitors who's parameters are known" screen going
> "fizzle-click-click-click-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!-pop-pop-
> pop-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" while I try and find sensible modes it'll
> run in.

You don't need to change the mode more than once. What you do is this: Find
best modeline (by comparing the available ones to the desired one), and
change the mode. Simple, no? (XF86VidModeGetAllModeLInes() returns,
ironically enough, all the valid mode lines in the XF86Config)

> Actually the issue here is that I'm /trying/ to do "game with as
> little interface as possible" so the idea is that it "just works".

As in arcade style? (PRESS START TO PLAY!)

> We've spent quite a while designing an in-game interface that doesn't
> need a manual or any hot-tips or anything like that (I'm actually
> trying for "no text at all") - it seems a shame to spoil it with a

Is it a picture of a nipple or something? :)

> dozen "--mode=something" parameters to the exe.

Use a config file, much mroe user friendly.

Mark 'Nurgle' Collins
Developer Support - Codeplay Ltd.
http://www.codeplay.com